I have been waiting to make this recipe and post about it on The Kale Storm for, like, a million years!
Or a few weeks. I’m a teenager, I can get away with hyperboles 😉
Here’s what you should know about this recipe:
- It is easy to veganize! I just substituted vegan shortening for the pie crust sugar/butter wash, and a little coconut oil and coconut butter in the lemon juice mixture for microwaving the apples.
- It takes a while, especially on your first try, so give yourself a good long time to work with! This is a great weekend morning project.
- Don’t worry if your roses aren’t perfect. Mine definitely weren’t, but I still think they look pretty darn good.
- No mandolin required so long as you have a good sharp knife!
- If you use small apples like me, you’ll probably need three.
- Check after one minute of microwaving your apples, and if they aren’t flexible enough to roll up, it’s perfectly fine to microwave them longer. That’s what I did.
- The recipe says to roll your dough out to 1/4 inch, but I found that to be far too thick to make nine mini pies. I ended up rolling my dough out to 1/8 inch, and I still only had enough for eight pies.
- The finished product tastes so good that the strawberry jelly glaze is optional! I left mine off because I wanted the apple flavor to really shine.
- The finished product is not only cute, but delicious! They are real-deal apple pies, just even prettier.
I’m really glad I went ahead and made these pies. It was a super-satisfying way to spend a Saturday morning. Also, my first #pinterestsuccess feels pretty good ! 😉
Question of the Day:
What’s your favorite way to spend a Saturday morning? My two favorites are baking and horse-back riding, and today, I got to do both!